Thursday, July 17, 2008

right where it belongs

i remember when i was in high school, i had a nine inch nails sticker on the back of my car that i was so proud of. it was one of the first edition nin stickers that came to print and i remember thinking that everyone would know how truly awesome i was for having it. i used to drive around with different friends in my car playing certain parts of songs for them and telling them how it made me feel, or how it inspired me. i'm pretty sure nine inch nails is the only band that i can honestly say is my band. that is to say no one showed them to me, i wasn't given a burnt cd with a few of their hits on it, i didn't start listening to them because i thought it would make me cool, it was just the first band that made me feel alive. as cheesy and as nuts as that may sound to you, its as meaningful and serious as anything that i could say about any music. i am sure i drove everyone nuts with all of my over analyzing and sensitive nature to their music. i remember listening to the fragile all senior year of high school, and upon graduation i went to see them play at the then anaheim pond, now called the honda center. a perfect circle opened for them, and i remember thinking it was the best night of my life. eight years later, i still think it is up there as one of the best nights of my life. up until late i haven't been listening to nine inch nails very much because i have been listening to lou reed, nick cave, elliott smith and pj harvey for the past two years. i am kind of like that you see. i go through phases usually only listen to a few bands/artists over and over for a couple of years and then change it up to suit my life. it was a mistake a couple nights ago that this even happened. davey made a playlist on my itunes and it had the acoustic version of right where it belongs on it. i was on my own listening to it, and i felt like i was 17 again. all the emotion came back, and i felt something. it's weird for me to feel anything these days as i am very emotionally jaded, but at that moment i felt like i used to, and it felt great.

1 comment:

Polly Helen said...

yea i totally agree with everything you said... i'm so excited to see them tomorrow at the forum, i'll tell you all about it. and we'll get to see them in sept for sure... please email me the right where it belongs acoustic version!! i LOVE that song! It makes me want to cry every time I hear it... xo