Tuesday, July 15, 2008

gymnopedie

i don't know why but every time i listen to gymnopedie my heart wanders off somewhere else. i instantly see davey and i walking through lax hopping on a plane to somewhere far away. probably the uk, but nonetheless somewhere adventurous and new. emile pandolfi's version is probably one of my favorite versions of gymnopedie because it isn't too fast and its not too slow to where you feel like you are in a saturn car commercial. in fact i think it was saturn that used gymnopedie in one of their commercials back when they were doing the whole "wave goodbye to childhood" commercials. anyway, i have this study mix/gym mix they are the same thing and its filled with all of my favorite songs, and i have three versions of gymnopedie on there, mixed with some chopin. i got inspired last season of dexter when deb was on the treadmill running to chopin so i figured i would try it out and it is really good for just letting your mind wander off while you are running. Pascal Roge is also really good, my favorite song of his would be his version of Ravel's 'Pavane pour une infante defunte.' i could listen to that song for hours. also gives me the travelling vibe, although with Roge's piano works I always imagine myself already on the plane getting ready to land somewhere as opposed to waiting to get on.

anyway here is a short video of Pavane Pour une Infante Defunte, hopefully one day I will be able to play like this:

No comments: