Friday, September 19, 2008

nick cave

We arrived at the bowl really early. It was around 5:30 pm and the tickets said 7:30 so we had some time to kill. Luckily they let us in early and we were able to take a look at our seats. Which luckily were amazing! Here is our view of the stage:



After relaxing in our seats for a few minutes we proceeded to the patina where we had our dinner:



Once we were finished with that, we walked around the venue a bit more. I saw sweetpea from last seasons project runway, while looking around for other people and scopin' out the crowd.

After a bit of time had passed at our seats Davey and I had made friends with some of the security at the hollywood bowl, all of which were very nice to us. In fact one of these security guards ended up making our night a little bit later but I will get to that in a few minutes. So, at around 7 we call our friend nils to see if he is here, which in fact he was and we met up with him for a little bit before catpower came on.

Once catpower started she immediately reminded Davey and I of our friend Bre. In fact it was really entertaining to watch her and her band, I was really surprised at how good her voice was.

Spiritualized came on, they were good. I really liked his back up singers, I thought it was a good opener for Nick, and they were extremely well received. Well after that, it was time for the big dog to come out. I couldn't have been more excited when I saw him take the stage. I hadn't felt like that since I was a kid going to see Tori Amos. Well actually I did get really excited last year when I went to see PJ Harvey at the orpheum, but not nearly as much as I felt when I saw Nick Cave standing ten feet away from me:



Let me just say that the show was amazing! So good, so fun, and I loved that I was so close to the whole band. It was really fun to watch Warren so close as well, he was really entertaining.



After about twenty minutes of the set, the security guard that we had made friends with earlier grabbed Davey and I and brought us in front of everyone so we were directly in front of the stage. We couldn't believe it. Shortly after bringing us to the front of the stage Nick approached Davey during the song 'Papa Won't Leave You Henry' and grabbed Davey's chin and sang to him. After that he put the microphone to Davey and Davey sang one of the lines with Nick. It was really cool to watch Davey so happy and so chuffed. I know it meant a lot to him. As it would be of course I was so in the moment that I did not take any photos or videos of the encounter but luckily a few of our friends witnessed it as it happened. Here is a view however of our upgraded view after our security bud J.D took care of us:





Here is a video of our view :



1 comment:

Melissa said...

You just described how I use to feel when I would go see My used-to-be-favorite-band The Dear & Deaprted and see the bass player close up,lol, cause I was always in front of the stage when I would go see them live. The bass player from that band was so good. He had such an amazing stage presence. Now he plays bass for an even more awesome band. But that's how I would feel going to see The Dear & Departed so excited with butterfly's in my tummy. I'm glad you and Davey (that bass player I was talking about, lol) had a fantabulous time.