Tuesday, September 30, 2008

college teacher?

So this week I taught my first class. It made me really nervous and shaky and uncertain about my own abilities. It was in front of a bunch of college students, the majority of them close to graduating and some of them older than me. It really put things into perspective and it made me see how difficult teaching truly can be. My mom is one of the best teachers I have ever had, both as a mother and as my 8th grade teacher. I am truly blessed to have her as a mentor and as a support system and I honestly felt her presence with me as I was teaching my first class.

Teaching philosophy can be very difficult and without fear of being vague, hours of preparation are necessary to make sure your lesson is perfect.

While I was up there my palms were sweaty and my cheeks felt warm and I kept trying to make eye contact with each student as they were answering my questions. The whole lesson wasn't longer than 45 minutes but it seemed like it was only 5 minutes until I concluded my lesson on aesthetics.

After the class I spoke to my mom about teaching as a full time career choice and I am unsure of whether or not that is the route I want to take. After teaching to college students there is no doubt in my mind that is the route I would like to take if I am to become a teacher. I am just unsure if the challenge of teaching college level is as compelling to me as being a lawyer.

only time will tell, but this week I am uncertain.

No comments: